Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Excuse me sir I have a note from home


 How many of you grew up in the 70's and your parent smoke cigarettes? Aw yes the the note from home, many of you know exactly what I am talking about..



When I was growing up things were a lot different than they are today. I remember growing up in Portland, Oregon in the seventies and we never locked our doors or  closed the windows they were always open to get the cool breeze through out our house mostly all summer long. . ( Better not try this today) you just may find that people will invade your home now even when it's locked up and with you in it.  back then Our windows were always open to get the cool breeze through out our house mostly all summer long.  We had a very lively neighborhood. Living one block from the most happening park in PO...I remember that Portland's own Pleasure played in that very park. That was the life,there would be at least 100 or more kids on any give day and everyone would just be kicking playing around and listening to music most of it would be live. We just being young adults and even small children could be in the park and have their fun..  I often wonder where did the the unity go.. I mention this fact that there were so many kids hanging out in the neighborhood  and the fact that people didn't lock up everyone had a level of respect for everyone.. And also each others property. Well those were the days, but I really wish that the our young people could know just a fraction of this, there was a day!   History repeats it self perhaps that day in time will repeat it self as well.

How many of you grew up in the 70's and your parent smoke  cigarettes? Well I an my sisters experienced first hand what it was like to have a parent that smoked. My mother would write a note something like this..



Dear Mr. So and So please send me 2 packs of Kent 100's with the micro nite filter. (Her real brand) If you have any questions please give me a call at 555 555 555.
Thanks

Sincerely

Mrs.L. A. Pryor(her real name). LOL

So we would take that note to any store large or small and it was accepted for the cigarettes.  But for me it was even easier than that to get cigarettes, I remember my mom had a friend that traveled the world as a merchant seaman..And whenever he would make it to Portland, man oh man we loved for him to visit us he always came bearing plenty of gifts and all the goodies teenagers liked.. Man I remember that he brought us so much Lobster and Crab that we actually got tired of eating it.  He also brought cases upon cases of imported expensive cigarettes.. My mother didn't smoke that kind only occasionally  she was partial to her Kent cigarettes. That left more for me and my sister Pie that also smoked..We would have a field day and mama never really missed any of them. So yes back in the day all you needed to buy a pack of cigarettes at any age was a note from home.. And yes as a teenage high school student that had become a cigarette smoker those notes came in handy for me as well.   I could just simply write me a note and pass it to the store clerk near my  high school. The clerk was an elderly guy that just wanted to make his money. It didn't matter to him that I lived no where around his small store perched right across the street from the school.

But yes times has changed tremendously, you must be 18 to smoke and you'd better have your ID. I for one are glad to see this implemented, that means my children's children will be less likely to smoke. As it stands now there is no one that smokes that are close to them.  Even Nanna is now smoke free guys 2 months and 3 days counting..Whooohooo  Go Nanna Go Nanna

No comments:

Post a Comment